Growing up one of my favorite recipes that my mom made was beef stroganoff. It’s not the real recipe that you find in restaurants, but nevertheless, I asked for it weekly. I don’t think I’d know a true stroganoff if I tried it. My mom made hers with a stroganoff seasoning packet from the grocery store, ground beef, sour cream, over white rice. Since this was one of my favs, I played around and found a way to make it that tastes even better than mom’s, with fresh ingredients, and no white rice (sorry mom).
What makes this recipe pop I think is the white wine and mustard that I add. you can definitely taste hints of both. This is also the only way I can get my 7 year old to eat mushrooms, mostly because he doesn’t know they are in there. I just eat it in a bowl, but I will often make egg noodles my the rest of my family to enjoy with this.
1 lb ground beef
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts pepper
4 Tbs cornstarch
1 can fat free beef broth
1 ts mustard
6-8 oz fresh mushrooms – sliced
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup white wine (I use a cooking wine)
- Brown beef in a large pan with salt & pepper over medium heat. Once cooked through, put beef on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add about 1-2 tbs of butter to the pan, once melted, add mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until they “sweat” and are about 1/2 their original size. Pile the mushrooms on top of the beef on the plate.
- Mix the cornstarch with 3 Tbs hot water and whisk together. Add beef broth to the pan and then the cornstarch mixture. You will want to stir/whisk a lot at this time until it starts to thicken and bubble.
- Add mustard and mix together
- Turn heat to low
- Return the beef and mushrooms to the pan and mix it all together.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes – stirring occasionally
- A few minutes before serving, add the Greek yogurt and white wine, mixing everything together.
You can eat this plain, over egg noodles, or if you are really being crazy…over rice.
10.3 g Total Fat
4g Saturated Fat
72.3 mg Cholesterol
494.1 mg Sodium
19.9 g Total Carbs
1 g Fiber
1.8 g Sugars
24.8 g Protein